Friday, May 12, 2006

Doh! base target issue...

So I'm really trying to get some minor but important tweaks done to our existing site (e.g., would like to change all headers & footers - where possible - to be server-side includes - just to reduce the troubles with a change to the footer not extending to all pages, to keep consistency, etc.). Already, some pages use the include for footer, though only the new ones I'm creating are using the header (and not in all cases) - but eventually. Let me start with the footer issues - since our primary navigation, for better or worse, is found in our footer! (I've rolled it live, but if you've got comments, please send them and I'm always revisiting and refining.)

So then I'm working along on refinements to what will eventually be the header. I have a form that I want to include in the header that allows users to go directly into the site search function, but it wasn't working - turns out that the base target was set in this document as though it were a frames page, but it's not, it's an include page (for more about base target tag/attributes, go to http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/head/base.html ) and this was effecting the functionality of the form! forgive me if it was obvious, but I'm still pretty basic on some things...

It was definitely the target issue!!! I had the same problem with another search form I tried to embed in this header page.

No comments: