Wednesday, June 28, 2006

why am I still here?

Well, the Maricopa server seems to be down, or something, and I rely on it to incorporate the New @ CSL blog feed into our http://www.cslib.org/new.asp page. It's been slow to respond anyway, so I needed to figure out a new solution. I'm only about 1/2 way there. I did find an RSS to HTML ASP script from ByteScout, so it should move more quickly for me. It's just that the instructions were to do an include virtual to grab the asp program - but the include virtual command didn't seem to work... well, I'm so clueless about ASP programming that I didn't realize that when using an include command of this type, you need to set the path of the asp program to be relative to the root of your website, not relative to the file that you're calling the program from (see http://www.codecomments.com/archive288-2004-8-261865.html which offered up the solution for me). Thank goodness for Google & other clueless ASP users out there!

Now, even when I use the ASP to incorporate the feed, there will still be a minor issue - the hyperlinks found in the body of the WordPress posts will only be seen as plain text - no hyperlinks - you'll have to go to the actual blog entry to use the links. But that's another problem for another day. Maybe overnight tonight, I'll think of a more elegant/practical solution.

No comments: