Monday, July 17, 2006

Mopping up Mondays...

So today is about - what else - mopping up on a Monday! It's always a challenge when a site has grown gangly (overgrown like the hollyhocks at my house that my husband calls "trees" that have fallen over from their own weight - no stakes large enough to support them) to decide what to prioritize - prune it, tie it, take the whole thing out & start from scratch.

There are 680 pages left that do not have the include file for the footer - how could that be, I wonder, when I thought that I'd hit them all? Well, we do have some decentralization of page authorship (and even site admin). Decentralizing authorship & the control over publishing, within reason, is something that I've been a big advocate of all along. I'd like to figure out how to get more granular in my control over permissions, however, to ensure that folks don't mistakenly overwrite the code fixes that I've put in place. The site admin end probably needs to be tighter and the authorship broader, but more carefully guided. Eventually, I believe, we'll need to move over to a more tightly controlled content management system, to ensure that the information we publish is not duplicated, overwritten, or disorganized. What every library struggles with, no doubt, until they find a system that works. (See Library Hi Tech Vol. 24, No. 1, 2006, for articles on CMS')

No comments: